Friday, February 24, 2006

Pretty in white

Around 2:30 this morning there was a thunderclap so loud it woke me up and rattled the windows. When I jumped up to look outside, I found an inch or so of snow on the ground, and more falling. I lay in bed for a while wondering how long it would take the effects of a neutron bomb to appear; not comforting thoughts upon which to return to slumber.
A check-back appointment for my mother turned into a multi-houred odyssey; everything was pretty much on time, but we had to to the lab to get blood drawn, and what with one thing and another, the morning and early afternoon are shot. Nothing has been solved or resolved.
We're hiking down to Fremont to the co-op to shop for some good food.
This bizarre stretch of my mom's health woes is getting to me. Now reading Hesse seems a comfort, since it anesthetizes me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Better literature than the sauce to anethstitize one's soul. Blog on sister.

8:20 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yeah, likker makes me too wakeful, spike!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Hmmm. How long before the effects of a neutron bomb would appear...? I don't know. But I once knew a guy in the Danish National Guard. His job, should an atomic bomb fall on Denmark, was "...to get as close to the bomb as possible and report back." He had it all planned. He was going to report back from Buenos Aires.

1:38 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

I'm not sure about the bomb either, but do you remember the movie that was out in the early 80s about after the bomb is dropped? Anyway, my children saw a piece of that movie before I realized that it might not be suitable for their age. We always lived in the desert and they never saw rain much less snow or ice or anything like that. Then, when they were around 7 or 8, we came to Arkansas to visit my sisters and it began to snow, and my son freaked out, he thought a bomb had been dropped and the snow was the fallout from the bomb. It took us for ever to convince him that it was snow, the stuff he had seen in the books and not nuclear rain or whatever that stuff is called. Geeze, my children were deprived. He also thought three little trees constitued a forrest, and who puts the shoes on the cows, which were really horses but he had never seen either except in a book so it was understandable that he would get them confused. But he knew the name and time period of every dinosaur known to man.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home