Saturday, April 22, 2006

Holding

Pattern, pen, forth, my breath. After zipping around to various sources and sites, I am left with an increasing sense of fear about the future.
Out for a walk and a beverage with my beloved spouse.
Off tomorrow for a climbing outing on actual rocks with several friends from the gym.
From Heather McHugh's poetry:

Fast

I love a rock for holding
so much down (itself, for example,
its grounds.) From where we stand it seems

to set loose Alps of cloud above;
below, the lilies range
around its late, light-catching

faces. Lawns run right up to
its settledness: Your
Highness! buzz the grasses and

Your Heaviness! (their blades
ablaze). For they must come
and go, attracted now

to this, now that, while it
is always going - going with
the monolithic given,

given every day to love
(in winter as in heat)
only the planet's plunge through heaven.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The rocks don't move, and neither should we?

Well, that's not necessarily the case. Rock does indeed move, but very, very slowly. We would be wise to remember, that in the end Nature bats last.

10:33 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I didn't get that meaning from the poem, 'spike. I just liked the sense of the relatively enduring quality of the rock.
Yes, Nature is up last, but unfortunately, we are part of nature, and we've been pulling a lot of cheating chicken claws on the bat handle for quite some time now...
I actually wish there were some sort of gigantic whooshing Spirit of Nature which would start doing its Nemesis act now.

12:28 PM  
Blogger 42 said...

I get the sense of dread too.

bad things are happening to people I love, things they don't deserve. I hope it passes soon.

7:58 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

David, I don't think it will pass unless we fight back at the conspicuous consumption, the undeserved sense of entitlement entertained by a few.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

'the monolithic given'. very cool.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home