Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jungly hot night

Hard to sleep well when even the sheets feel too warm. The cat that usually snuggles with us could not bear to do so, and wandered around looking for a comfortable place to sprawl. Perhaps I should have followed him, because today I am exhausted, depressed and feelin' not groovy but grousy. My mother seems to be all right today, no sweaty outbreaks of dizziness, and has been commenting about the NYTBR's "Best American Literature of the Last 25 Years" piece. Says she hasn't read one of them. Looking at the list, I see Helprin's crapola A Winter's Tale, similarly shitty Underworld by Don Delillo, and a few others I read and loathed. Toni Morrison's Beloved which they picked as the best of them all was all right, but there are other writers I have appreciated far more. Oh, but they're not American. Not such a big surprise.
The day ended with a late dinner of crab cakes and salad.
Off to bed to venture a few more pages into the siege of Leningrad, via Vollmann's Europe Central. Reading about fascist Germany and the dictatorship of the Stalinist USSR, there seems to me to be littel funcitonal difference between the two regimes. Much as our country is sliding into some kind of fundie-swayed system, which will be embattled with other fundie-swayed systems in the Middle East. What's the difference, when the results are the same? The plunder of war, the death of innocents. At some point, it's hard to distinguish the players from one another.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Some of the American lit is so much like tripe that I cannot stomach it. Then again, there are works like the Grapes of Wrath, and my faith is restored.

I love this term "fundie-swayed systems" No wonder it's like it is in the Mid East, just like the democracy here at home...

9:32 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Can you tell if it's fiction anymore? Or is that non-fiction?

2:40 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

wel, 'spike, Amurka likes its stories wholesome and realistic! Or else full of gratuitous violence, or anything else that sells in airports.

neil, Europe Central is a novel, it's just set in a nightmarish time and place. Right now the composer Shostakovich figures large, as Vollmann has him writing his music and being persecuted by Stalin. Except it's not what you could call one of those costumed historical fictions, it's complicated and strange.

Oh, I agree about "best Lists." Another stupid thing Amurkans like.
I do like Updike, but you're right, they fudged things for him.
I remember thinking Confederacy of Dunces was funny. We often saw "the Green Hat Mother" in different palces after we read that. The Known World was tedious and bland, I thought.
Today I have energy to flog! Bring on whatever needs to be flogged!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home