Saturday, March 10, 2007

Weekend stuff

Finally managed a climbing workout, after missing them for all sorts of reasons, including appliance hunting. Fun to hang out with my wimmin friends, although I felt pretty out of practice. Made a run to the Ethiopian grocery for injera and miserwat, and one of the sweet women who run the place explained to me how to make the latter, a sauce made from red lentils. Their version is very hot to my taste, but of course if you make it yourself you can adjust the seasonings, in this case the red pepper. My nephews are arriving tomorrow, and evidently have been looking forward to piles of this little store's injera and lots of miserwat.
We'll have a full house, and I hope some fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Please explain what you purchased and why. I have never heard or I should say, read those words before.

7:46 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

pop, injera is a kind of flat bread that is like a giant thick crepe, made with an Ethiopain grain called "teff." Miserwat is a sauce made from red lentils. "Wat" basically means stew, and they also ahve some made from ground chickpeas - sherra - and yellow split peas, which the kids call yellowwat. The food is usually spiced with a vey hot blend kind of like a currry, called berber. You scoop up the sauces with pieces of injera. No silverware required!

10:13 AM  
Blogger JS said...

I do love Ethiopian food...when shall I drop by?

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home