Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thrashing of a Thursday

Another climbing gym session, with a couple of friends who used to be a couple and have remained cordial for many years; he recently found out he's got cataracts, and is facing surgery. He was joking about being full of extra bits and pieces, since he had a hip resurfacing some years ago and has metal in his joint, and velcro in his gut, and will soon have some kind of ocular device implanted in his eyes. Gad, we are not so old, but perhaps we should not dwell upon that, since we're still fit and able to do a great many strenuous activities. As my friends observed, we arent' young and crazy like many climbers, but rather, older and reflective. (with a good portion of irony there...) These two people and their friends have scores of years of mountainieering and rockclimbing experience. I'm appreciative to spend time with them, and hear of their adventures, which will probably have to serve as vicarious ones for me right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

We're getting older, but I think we're all crazier than ever. Yes, that's a collective "we." I don't know how I feel about replacing body parts with extra bits and pieces here and there. I hope I never have to make such a decision.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicarious mountaineering is the only mountaineering I'll be doing.

I would so like to avoid the whole body-reassembly thing. But my brother had a hip-resurfacing at 54 and feels much better for having done it. So, who knows?

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home