Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Heinz year

And I'm not talking about catsup; 57 years ago, my dear mother brought me into this world. Fortunately, she's still right here to thank for my existence, which of course I did. Now as for the significance of this day:
11/11 used to be known as Armistice Day, to mark the end of all wars. Of course military veterans should be acknowledged, but lately, Veterans' Day seems to me to be a huge marketing and propaganda tool. I can't even stand to recall the images I saw briefly of Shrub and Cheney on the tube today blowing hard about sacrifices; sacrifices that are totally unnecessary, unless one is hauling in the big money as a result. They've co-opted the day for their own uses.
The beloved spouse's favorite birthday cake came out grandly, and we had some for dessert. Plenty left for breakfast...

5 Comments:

Blogger Imperatrix said...

Yum, birthday cake for breakfast!

I agree about the vets. Life is precious, and no one should be allowed to squander others' lives for their petty delusions of grandeur.

1:58 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Breakfast is the only time I drink espresso, imp, so cake and coffee to wake up; marvelous!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Have you had 57 varieties of experience?

Cake for breakfast. Yum.

7:04 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Probably not yet, kathyr; depends upon what counts!

10:12 AM  
Blogger JS said...

I got it wrong...early, thanks to Konagod. I'll put in on my calendar for next year. Will arrange for a new administration to be elected in celebration of your next birthday!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home