Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Heinz year

And I'm not talking about catsup; 57 years ago, my dear mother brought me into this world. Fortunately, she's still right here to thank for my existence, which of course I did. Now as for the significance of this day:
11/11 used to be known as Armistice Day, to mark the end of all wars. Of course military veterans should be acknowledged, but lately, Veterans' Day seems to me to be a huge marketing and propaganda tool. I can't even stand to recall the images I saw briefly of Shrub and Cheney on the tube today blowing hard about sacrifices; sacrifices that are totally unnecessary, unless one is hauling in the big money as a result. They've co-opted the day for their own uses.
The beloved spouse's favorite birthday cake came out grandly, and we had some for dessert. Plenty left for breakfast...


Blogger Imperatrix said...

Yum, birthday cake for breakfast!

I agree about the vets. Life is precious, and no one should be allowed to squander others' lives for their petty delusions of grandeur.

1:58 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Breakfast is the only time I drink espresso, imp, so cake and coffee to wake up; marvelous!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous KathyR said...

Happy Birthday. Have you had 57 varieties of experience?

Cake for breakfast. Yum.

7:04 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Probably not yet, kathyr; depends upon what counts!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Musings from Myopia said...

I got it wrong...early, thanks to Konagod. I'll put in on my calendar for next year. Will arrange for a new administration to be elected in celebration of your next birthday!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home