Tuesday, November 06, 2007

One's civic etc.

There was an election today, and I went over to vote at our polling place; these sites are going to disappear eventually, so it's kind of a quaint act to walk over there and fill out a paper ballot. The people working there get stranger every year, and sound suspiciously conservative in their conversations with one another. I like to see my ballot all the way into the collection machine myself, as I don't trust this lot. A series of little old people manned the polling place over the years, and I'm sure they're long gone. The old dears were very slow and shaky, and you had to help them find your name, convince them you were in that precinct; it was always an adventure for them. My mother told me recently that when her mother was older, she always worked at the polling place, and liked to see who came in from around their neighborhood. It was a social event for my grandmother.
Very enjoyable late afternoon workout at the climbing gym where our son works; he took mercy upon his mom and we had a really good session. I'm getting farther on the lead route that heads out onto the roof and downclimbs. It's the point where I have to commit to the downward direction that throws me. I'm exhorted to just go for it, so I do, a bit more each attempt.
Son's made some very nice friends lately, all female. They all seem to be energetic and positive, fun to talk to.

3 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

I miss the old neighbors who used to watch over the polling places here. They always struck me as demonstrating the height of civic responsibility, helping ensure that as many people as possible were able to exercise their civic duties by voting. I'm suspicious of the polling place gestapo now; I try to avoid any words or deeds that could signal them my political persuasion, lest they pop my ballot into the shredder and take my picture for delivery to the precinct "captain."

5:20 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Perhaps you are engaging in some hyperbole, mfm, I hope it isn't that bad down your way...

10:06 AM  
Blogger JS said...

Yes, it's a bit of hyperbole, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility...here, anywhere.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home