Sunday, May 22, 2005

Stressful Sunday

And it started out so nicely...we'd finished breakfast, and Mother and I headed out for a bit of a walk. As we rounded the corner by the mailbox, she announced that she didn't want to go all the way to the last corner, three blocks away. We made it to the fence where she takes a breather and a stretch, then headed homeward. As usual, she sat down on Mike's low stone wall to rest a moment; I had just spoken to her, then glanced away to watch a bird,when I caught her toppling out of the corner of my eye. I managed to break her fall, but she was sort of twisted against the wall. Mike heard me exclaiming, and rushed out to help. Jeff across the street happened to be out by his van, and he zipped over also. The family who bought Sid and Rick's house had just come out, and they hurried over to see if we needed assistance. Meanwhile, we had gotten her down on the grass strip by the sidewalk, head lower than her legs, and she was perking up already. We let her get up gradually, and Mike and the young dad helped me get her home and up our steps. Mike said she seemed quite steady again, which is the pattern these "spells" take. I've usually managed by myself, but I'm wondering if this is a little warning about what's coming...
Got a pretty good run and workout, now I need to get to the store. I'm getting that "battle mentality" again, wondering what could happen with my mom.
Very nice event this evening: Chris from our online book group was in town, en route from Alaska to home in Virginia, and called to get together. We zoomed over to where she was staying, near the Seattle Center, picked her up, and took a stroll through the Center, past the Space Needle, to a restaurant we've been to and liked. It was really nice to talk with her, and share a meal. (Thank you again so much, Chris! ) We then went on a bit of an evening drive, out to Magnolia Bluff, to see Puget Sound illuminated by a full moon, ferries floating along like big birthday cakes.
Yikes. My mother's leg was so painful and/or stiff, she had to be helped upstairs. I gave her my trekking poles to help her maneuver about. Have to see what a good night's sleep brings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home