Saturday, May 21, 2005

Surprise of a Saturday

Mother and I went out for our usual walk late this morning. We visited our friend and neighbor across the street and her lovely bevy of chickens, then made our way on our regular route. Mother's knee was feeling better, so she decided to go all the way to the corner marking the halfway point. We could see a bunch of people milling around in front of Diggity Dog, the local hotdog purveyor; as we got closer, I spotted a TV cameraman. A moment later, I noticed that his camera was trained on a large, familiar-looking fellow: T'was our Seattle mayor, Greg Nickels. Odd, since my husband and I had just discussed him last night. Husband is more optimistic about Mayor Nickels; I'm skeptical, and seeing him in my very own baileywick made me suspicious. What crappy policy-making might it be a harbinger of? A woman who'd been in the group crossed the street to pass by where we were resting against a wall for a breather. I asked her why he was there. She said something about making contact with the neighborhoods, and about a "beautification" effort. I said I'd voted for him, but was not convinced of his motives. She allowed as how he's done some controversial things, but after all, "he IS the mayor." So I sez to her, I sez,"Oh, well, George Bush is the president, but so what?" She seemed to be implying that the mayor deserved respect because of his position. I shall wait and see. I certainly don't think Bush deserves respect just because of his office. He's abrogated any respect anybody should have ever considered giving him.
Anyway, Mr. Nickels headed over our way, and as he reached us, said hello and shook our hands. "My, you have warm hands!" my mother told him.
"It's an occupational trick!" he replied, not missing a beat.
Off to visit a new bookstore, a branch of a local favorite. We had a nice long walk, spouse had a workout at the gym, then we stopped at Rosita's for Mexican. Brought home a chicken enchilada mole for my mom, and all is well.
Again, exit with the large book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home