Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's just another day...in paradise

Only I ain't being ironic like old Phil Collins was. Zowie. Got my mother out a bit earlier, owing to the heat, then went out to the climbing gym early this afternoon. My friend and I were both feeling unambitious, but at least we got up several routes. Got home, my mother did another 5 blocks, and Bob's your uncle! It's in the low 80's, dry, with a coolish breeze. (Sounds like a wine review - "dry, with a cool light finish.")
I am so very close to the end of Don Quixote. Such a huge grab bag of a work. So many pratfalls and plenty of potty humor: as examples for each, Sancho frequently gets pummeled and/or tossed about by groups of people hired for that purpose, and it's for the amusement of someone else; bad boys stuck twigs of "furze", which I think is a form of broom, in teh assholes of Don Q.'s and Sanco's steeds, which irritated the animals and made them switch their tails, which made it worse..."Hee Haw" type humor. And this for the few people educated enough to read? Sounds like stuff our country's leader would enjoy, a good mean bullying trick. My estimation of human nature's lack of change is confirmed. But then there will be witty intelligent passages which merit re-reading and pondering. I wish fervently that more people had this sensibility, as opposed to the former.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home