Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Starting off with a waffle

Such forethought! I mixed up the waffle batter last night, and actually got out of bed at an early enough hour to get downstairs and cook it. This despite waking up in the middle of the night and having to read a couple of Elizabeth Bowen short stories in order to get back to sleep. Thus fortified, I got my mom out for a short walk, then went to route set.
I really savor hanging up on a rope, working my way up to set the holds. The top is about 32 feet or so, and it's nice to be up there, contemplating the problem and nothing else. It's ever so much nicer on real rock, of course...
Just got off the phone with my sister. They have returned from Ethiopia after another 24 hour long flight, this time with two more boys in tow. I also got to speak with them - ages 7 and 10 - and they sound lively and wonderful. Evidently the younger one is the challenge: He was informed by an Ethiopian man that he couldn't hit people in an American school, or he would be thrown out. His response? "Who's going to throw me out?" Hoo boy, have they got a live one!
We shall meet tomorrow, before they head back over the Cascades to Moscow, Idaho, and their even smaller town of Troy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Spare Change News Blog said...

Found you! Now I want some waffles for my effort.

-p

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, if your dishing, I' eating. Waffles are my favorite breakfast food, next to the morning bun - and especially so if they are home made, laced with pure maple syrup.

Oh, I must be hungry, I can't get off the subject when I am really curious about the African children - did your family adopt?

3:05 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yo yo yo, Senor Arroz! Okay, but I gave you fair warning, this is a very quiet little bit of blogtopia.
And you may NOT be mean, young man, or no frickin' waffles!

'spike, my sister her husband DID just complete an adoption, of two brothers, ages 10 and 7, Ethiopian kids whose parents both died of AIDS in the past few years. I'm going to post about meeting them today...
Hey, I can almost always eat waffles. This batch had soy milk and a bit of masa farina, a fine corn flour in them. VERY flavorful.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Hmmm. Does Elizabeth know you're using her for a sleeping pill?

5:54 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Um, Neil... what does that post mean?

6:28 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Lawsy I am dense today. You meant Elizabeth Bowen. She may return and haunt me...she wrote a buttload of stories about, well, ghosts and presences and malign spirits. Some better than others.

8:29 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Er, I know, I know, kathy,uncouth Americanism... oh, well!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home