Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Whooping monkeys

The siamangs were at it again this morning, and I always wonder what is driving their vocalizations. They're way up on Phinney Ridge, in the Woodland Park Zoo, over a mile away, and their whoops really carry. Sometimes you can hear them during softball tournaments, as if they were joining the fans in the bleachers. Other times it seems to be related to a full moon. This morning, perhaps they were expressing appreciation for the cool cloud cover and invigorating air.
I stopped by our vet's to pick up the cat carrier I had left for our cat to use for the brief remainder of his existence. His little old blue collar had been tucked inside.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

I read about Simba over on Phil's blog. I'm so sorry.

I have a special fondness for gibbons and siamangs. They really are such interesting apes. I spent some time doing a video at the Denver Zoo, documenting mother-infant behaviors of a new-born gibbons. I had a chance to hold the mother's hand. It was cool and soft. I love ape vocalizations. You are so lucky that you get to hear that.

5:15 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, Simba was so sick all of a sudden. His little parcel of animal energy is out and about now...

Robin Andrea, it is so otherworldy to hear them! The full moon is coming on, so I bet they will ahve another round soon.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home