Friday, May 27, 2005

Fried Friday

Another hot day in Seattle. We got out early for a walk, since my mom doesn't fare well in the heat. We're being cautious as teh docotr recommended, so as not to jeapardize her mental health.
We tried to call her oldest friend Dorothy, but got a shock. The place where she's living near Cincinnati told me she was very sick last night and was in hospice care, but they couldn't tell us any more, that we'd have to speak to her family. This doesn't bode well. Dorothy's been sounding increasingly confused every time we've called, which has been nearly every week for more than a year. She's been taking to her bed, not getting around, and this ahs brought on sme nasty consequences with her bodily functions. It can also lead to pneumonia, which I suspect is what's going on now. I told my mom, who just remarked,"Oh, dear." She may not remember this later. It makes me so sad. They've been friends for going on 73 years, since they met in early high school. Dorothy's 88th birthday will be on June 12. I wonder if she will make it that far. I went upstairs and cried while I ironed shirts.
Just heard from Dorothy's middle daughter; Dorothy died at 1:30 this morning. She starved herself to death. I told my mother after she finished her lunch; we'll see if she remembers later.
The daughter said Dorothy was peaceful as she died; she had gotten angrier and stranger, due to the progression of her dementia. Fortunately, she was living in a facility which was staged for residents' decline and demise, and not by herself somewhere.
Out for an evening stroll and a beverage over heated political talk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home