Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Wetly Wednesday redux

It rained last night. First we've had in about three weeks. It feels lovely this morning. Went to the gym earlier than usual to accommodate my friend, who was cooking up a vegan storm for her boyfriend's 29th birthday. She had baked a tofu-ish cheesecake tart, and was going to cover it with kiwi fruit and raspberries coated with a red currant glaze. This woman makes vegan food absolutely delectable. She has all kinds of tricks with which she replaces eggs and butter, a difficult thing to do.
Beloved spouse and I went out for a late evening walk, down to Gasworks. We happened upon one of the 30 candle light vigils held around Seattle in support of Cindy Sheehan, the grieving protesting mother of a 24 year old son killed in Iraq. There was a nearly full moon rising over Lake Union, and scores of people with candles on top of the kite hill; there were a few boats near the shoreline with candles, too. This poor woman moves me. I also have a 24 year old son, and I wouldn't be as restrained in my protest against the fuckwitted president if it had been my son who died. This woman is sincere. Her life is falling apart. I believe grief could do that to a person.
We got back to our 'hood in time to raise a glass of wine and share some laughs with our dear friend who is having troubles with her liver. As in possibly cancer. She is going in for her biopsy tomorrow, and I'll be doing some yard work for her in lieu of prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home