Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Gaining ground for now

My mom managed four blocks this morning, and we watched the chickens excavating what appeared to be their own little bomb shelter next to our friends' house. Good luck, girls. We're all going to be fricassed, but y'all get credit for effort.
Plugged away some more on Hesse's Glass Bead Game. Nearly 200 pages into this tome, and I am simply not appreciating it, not for language, style, construction...oh, I am sure there is profundity afoot, but Hesse's underlying agenda is boring and murky to me, whatever it is. I'm debating about halting my reading of Hesse; it's feeling way too much like an assignment. There's no joy, not even any revulsion. Nada. I'm not anticipating some wonderful illuminating discussion of it by the group, either, so I don't have much motivation to go on. I'll go on, for a bit. ("I can't go on. I'll go on.")
Swell walk with Enzo and Dino, the chihuahua bros. Like yesterday, they met me with wild cheerfulness, and dragged me around for a while outside, sniffing, peeing, trying to eat alien dogshit - verboten, of course! - and doing these funny little wheeling actions now and again, after they'd sniffed out something particularly fascinating. I am growing so fond of them, as long as I don't have to live with them. I prefer the auntie role.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

"I can't go on. I'll go on." A good anthem for surviving the Bush administration.

12:28 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

If I remember correctly, it's a line from a Samuel Beckett play, but I don't recall which one...

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home