Saturday, March 05, 2011

Raging feline

As I stepped out of the dentist's office, the skies were blackening, the wind accelerating, and by the time I reached a bus stop about two blocks away, lightning and thunder sounded and hail beat down upon us hapless folks not inside buildings or cars. My umbrella nearly spirited me away, and the fellows sheltering inside the stop's open structure informed me merrily ,"That ain't gonna help you now!" Not a single bus listed on the info board went anywhere near my destination, so I had to hustle against horizontal mixed precip about four more blocks to a stop right in front of the King County Superior Court building. As I waited about ten minutes for my ride, quite an amazing and not superior-looking array of humans streamed in and out of the courts, most looking dazed, angry or miserable, accompanied by barristers in differently priced suits. One guy panhandled all of us waiting for transportation. A young woman who looked straight out of a Sex Pistols song whisked by with her consort, golf pencil conveniently stuck through one earlobe. The hail and rain soaked us all, democratically.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and wonderful observations of life on a blustery day. Excellent!

7:27 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Why, thanks, robin. I'm just glad that particular day is over.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Yes. A real slice o' life.

And a golf pencil? Do you wear that with the point going forward or back?

6:41 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, hey, Kathy. The point was going back, for easy installation and removal! somehow the image is seared into my mind's eye...

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home