Sunday, April 03, 2011

Withdrawal

Our final concert of the season was last night, Saturday; mostly a wonderful event, of course a few glitches, but I think our hard work showed. The pianist was amazing; he could play anywhere in the world. His solo, Debussy's "L'Isle Joyeuse", was sensual and lovely. Years and years ago, I listened to most of Debussy in my own home, as my dad had a collection of records. Last night, as I listened to Matthew play, I had an out of time and body experience; not so out that I couldn't get back to the reality of our next piece, Gershwin's "American in Paris". But what an astounding treat to just be able to sit there, not far from the piano, and let the sound rush into one's body. Now we are sitting here, saying, hey, we need to keep going. We're giving ourselves the night off from practice, but tomorrow, the practice cards come out again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home