Sunday, May 29, 2005

Marine Push

That sounds as if the Puget Sound area is being invaded; in a way, it is, by a push of cooler air from out on the ocean. Makes sleeping at night lovely, and should invigorate one enough to do yardwork. Well, it urged me to run and work out, and pull some weeds...
As I ran along the lake towards the Nautilus gym, a big family was in front of me, completely blocking the path. The women wore headscarves, they all looked...well, Arabic and Muslim. They looked at me and did not make any room for me to go through or around them. I smiled and said excuse me, but they continued to block my way, forcing me to veer into the edge of the bike lane. I had to ask myself, was the irritation I felt just the same as I would feel toward any large group of thoughtless people, or was it especially sharp owing to their obvious Muslim presence?
There were more groups of men following them, also indifferent to blocking the running path.
As I was leaving the gym a while later, I saw another group of people who looked Arabic, and one lone fellow walking around slowly, carrying a heavy bag and looking up at buildings. Memorial Day weekend...was there to be some kind of local protest? This infuriates me, when events beyond my control, i.e., Iraq invasion, poison my thoughts. I consider myself to be a tolerant person; this is what fear and uncertainty can do to one's tolerance.
After declaring I was ready to abandon Winter's Tale, I'm picking it up again at bedtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home