Saturday, November 19, 2005

An oblique sort of day

Begun in mist and ended thusly. Around 2:00 the sun broke through gloriously as we did an 8 block walk. I decided to run and weightlift today to free up tomorrow for a climbing workout. As I cruised along Green Lake, gauzy screens of fog could be detected slipping across the lake. As I rounded a bend and looked back, I could see a fog bank moving towards Upper Woodland Park and the south end of the lake. The golden birch leaves were jingling coins on the branches; a fisherman had landed a huge brown carp which lay in a curl on the grassy shore, dead and lusterless.
Our beloved son got home safely from a week-long visit with friends in Boston. He seems to have enjoyed it, mostly, although he is no fan of big cities. he's going up to Index tomorrow morning with a friend to climb those cruel cliffs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Hi, hope the cliffs aren't too cruel. Thanks for your visit to my blog and your kind comment. Twisted crystal in my spyglass, huh? That explains it. I checked out that Bruni Digest. Pretty cool. Cooking's not exactly my thing, but I do like food and pictures of food. Very funny writer, you're right. Nice to find your blog too. Books, huh? I'm an English major so I read a lot of those things in college. I remember a course on English Women Writers of the 20th Century. Murdoch, Drabble, Wolff. The whole happy lot. Fine writers all, but geez it must be depressing being an Englishwoman. Anyway, got you bookmarked and I'll throw you on my blogroll so I can check in on your literary rockclimbing. I should read more...maybe I'd learn something...anything...my word verification is "pvrqfith". That mean anything to you?

12:25 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Man, I'm embarrassed to have a clever blogger visit my pedestrian little site. I have been doing it just to get some reps with making observations about my quiet but not desperate life. No photos, no frills, been thinking it was good discipline to attempt to only use words. I'll try to do better!
Heh...I suppose it used to be depressing to be an Englishwoman, at least from the evidence of the work from the past. The most recent female English writer I have seen in person, reading from her latest, was Zadie Smith, who wrote White Teeth. I admire her; also Monica Ali, born in Banglidesh but living in the UK.
I highly recommend David Mitchell's work, especially his latest, Cloud Atlas.
You are Scots, right? I read a collection of short stories by Scots writers titled Acid Plaid. There are some experimental sorts up there in Scotland! Most interesting.
All right, off into the breach of the day... or maybe the breeches...
Thanks for your comment. I apologize for the boring nature of my blog...

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home